Important cookie information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Find out more.

Planning your music test: week 6

  • Posted: 22 April 2013

LogoJust Dance Dressage Equetech Challenge
Hosted by Dressage Anywhere

To coincide with the launch of our new Freestyle to Music class we've put together a week by week guide to get you started with all you need to know about how to plan your test.

Week 6: Practice and polish

Now you’ve got your music and your floorplan you need to get out and practice. Make sure you’re happy with everything. You may find you need to make your transitions slightly earlier or later than planned so adjust the music accordingly.

Once you’re ready for competition you can enter the Just Dance Dressage Equetech Challenge. Film your test making sure that the music is playing loudly and is close enough to the person filming for the camera to pick it up clearly. (You are not allowed to add the music afterwards.) Upload your test and you will be judged both on technical performance and also artistic, receiving marks for your floor plan, choice of music and how well you ride to it.

Note Regarding Live Performance

It is worth noting that for public performance (if you intend to ride your music test at a live show) you will need a music license. For this reason the Just Dance Dressage Equetech Challenge is not available for public viewing.

The most straightforward and the cheapest way of obtaining a suitable license is to become a music member of British Dressage. There is no charge for this service if you are a BD member. If you are not a member, you can become a BD music member for £33 per year or £24 if you are a riding club member.

You can arrange a license by completing and returning both a music sub-license agreement and a music license record form (both of which are available to download from the BD website) to Michelle Garland, British Dressage, Stoneleigh Park, Kenilworth, Warwickshire CV8 2RJ. You will then receive stickers, which you need to put on your freestyle tapes/CDs to fulfill the license agreement. This allows you to use any music from the record labels listed on the Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL) repertoire list.

See also:
Weeks 1 and 2 preparation and choosing your music
Week 3 creating a floor plan
Week 4 filming and adjusting
Week 5 editing your music